Intro to Cupping Therapy and Advanced Cupping Techniques for the Lower Extrmities
Time & Location
About The Event
Hosted by the AMTA New Mexico Chapter, this class focuses on Cupping therapy, commonly referred to as “cupping”. It has been used therapeutically for thousands of years. The roots of cupping can be traced back to early Egypt, Greece, and throughout European and Asian civilization. Cupping has shown to increase ROM and local circulation, decrease pain, and create ease in the body. During the first half of class, we will learn general applications of cupping therapy and how to integrate it into various practice styles. The second half of class we will take a deeper dive by reviewing the anatomy and kinesiology of the lower extremities and begin integrating cupping therapy into lower extremity massage sessions to meet your clients’ needs while staying within the scope of practice.
During this 8-hour course, attendees will learn:
• The history of cupping
• Review the anatomy and kinesiology of the lower extremities
• How to approach a client about integrating cupping therapy into a regular massage session
• How to discuss cupping therapy with clients for lower extremity conditions
• The importance of post session care for the client
• The indications and contraindications of cupping
• How to care for your cups
• The difference between using the cups as a stationary tool, and sliding the cups to work the fascia and soft tissues of the body
• Learn how to integrate this bodywork modality into a massage session, with an advanced focus to the lower extremities
We will examine and show applications of various styles of cups including glass, acrylic, and silicone cups. Attendees will be able to observe various applications of cupping as well as practice with partners to learn the differences between lighter and deeper cupping applications. Fire cupping will be discussed, but not performed during this class.
*Massage tables, linens, lubricant for the skin, and cups are required for this course. (Do not bring glass fire cups)